Pages

Sunday 13 January 2019

Red Scoprions reinforcements!

I seem to have found a way of blitzing space marines in a way that, to me, is easy and quick. The greys on all of these were done in one 2 hour session with one of the large terrain drybrushes that GW sells. Turns out you can get some great control with one of those and churn out some nice looking armour. Next time I have to paint some Marines, which should be in a few weeks time when the next batch of Conquest arrives, I'll try and remember to do some stage by stage photos.

Some transfers have arrived for the shoulder pads, but I need to test them out as reports are not good. Apparently they are thick and don't take well to the curvature of the pads. I didn't fancy ruining these guys just in time to submit them for the AHPC. 

Starting the ball rolling in this set of reinforcements we have a Primaris captain in Gravis armour from the starter set. Another should be along at some point, so I can play around with poses and equipment later. One day I should have a read of the actual army lists to find out what they can take, rather than going with what looks nice as I have no idea how these all play!


The original batch of standard Primaris are boulstered by another 10. A number of these are the easy builds that came with Conquest. Issue one was 3 of these, plus a brush and 2 pots of paint for £2. It would have been rude not to buy extra copies to bulk out the force. You'll notice that throughout the force, all of the baseline infantry have their heads covered. Bare heads with power armour just seems like a dumb idea to me, so one in three of those figures are not being used as they have a helmet stuck to their leg. Once day I may have a go at cutting it off.


For a bit of fast attack we have 4 of the easy build Inceptors. Two more of these should turn up throughout the course of the Conquest series, eventually giving me two squads of these guys. I was tempted to try and buy some spare arms from ebay to make them a bit different, or add other weapon options, but at this point two squads with the assault bolters seems pretty good.  The OSL on these was done with some light dry brushing of the blues and was surprisingly quick and effective.


Recently the series added a squad of easy build aggressors to the army and the models are really really nice. I know a lot of people moan about these easy to build figures, but some of the monopose models are much nicer than the multipart kits as they can ensure that the pieces interlock properly and give a nice dynamic feel. These I really like as they still seem to be able to move in their chunky armour, unlike most of the old plastic Terminators (not counting the relatively recent Space Hulk ones)


5 Hellblasters will add a bit of punch to the force. Again, the OSL was all dry brushed on. 


These 5 Reavers were from the Kill Team box as the onesfrom before Christmas were the easy-builds with pistols and knives. By getting this kit, I've now got some different pistol/knife arm combos to use on the second batch of easy builds to round out that squad with some unique poses for two 5 man squads. If I ever want to bulk these out to 10 men each, I just need one retail box of Reavers


I know I said no bare heads, but the Lieutenant is my one exception to this as I really like the model.


I had a Contemptor dreadnought kicking around from the Horus Heresy board games, so I decided to add him to the lineup as well. As this was the plastic Contemptor, the pose was a bit naff, so a bit of hacking later and he is now striding forward and twisting at the waist to look a little bit more dynamic than the very static pose they decided to go for.


For now I only have a couple of extra figures left to complete for the army. I've not put the finishing touches to them yet as they were started before the painting challenge. I really should rectify that, even if it doesn't get me any extra points. This is the full crowd to date, including the bits from late last year. Not too shabby. 



6 comments: