Pages

Saturday 19 January 2019

More weathering experiments

After the rust experiments the other week on the barriers and crates, it was time to try and tackle some more terrain for Necromunda. I've seen many tutorials using salt recently picked up some of the AK Interactive chipping liquid and wanted to see how that worked as, in theory, it should make life a bit easier than a bit of sponge but works best with an airbrush as it means less work to get it off.

I've had an airbrush for years, but never really had anywhere to set it up and play. Today I finally managed to unpack it and have a play. This is a bit of a teaser for a future Challenge entry, so the final steps won't be shown in this post, but will come as a part 2 after it is done.

The wall was initially undercoated black and then a rusty colour was sprayed over the top in a patchy way using some car undercoats, to give it a slightly mottled base layer. Over the rusty red areas I sprayed some of the chipping effect so that as the next few layers are pulled back, you'll start to see a rusty chip colour


Across the bottom two thirds, I put a layer of pale green. I think it is a tank interior, I can't remember from the sofa. Whatever it was, it has taken nearly an entire bottle of the paint to do all of the walls!  Do airbrushes really churn through paint really quickly? There are a lot of walls, so I guess it is fair enough.


Across the top half I went for a much lighter grey so it looks like the walls were originally pale grey and have slowly been covered up in grime.


Now the colours are on, it was just a case of taking a toothbrush, a little bit of water and scrubbing the wall a bit to reveal the rusty basecoat colour. As you can see, it can be worn of gently, or large chips.


It looks good enough to call done, but I want to dirty it up even more. You could just as easily replace the airbrush with some other cans of spray paint. I suspect you'll want model spray, rather than car spray as I'm not convinced that water would break up the car undercoat to give you the chipped effect.


The walls come from a great company called Blotz and are well worth adding to your Necromunda collection as it really adds to the atmosphere. Here are a couple of extra shots after they have been rusted up a bit with the last dregs of my Modelmates rust. Now I really do need to invest in a bottle of that other liquid and pray it really is the same stuff.


Below is an example set up on the kitchen floor as I got a bit carried away. Now I need to find a big table mat that looks like the underhive for when the tile sets are not enough



2 comments:

  1. They turned out really cool. Thanks for the step by step.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking at them in daylight I sort of wish Id stuck with them as red for the final thing, so done a metal undercoat... too late now ;)

      Delete