Pages

Thursday 21 May 2020

The joys of printing

I mentioned the other day that I bought a 3d printer, well lockdown finally gave me that kick to use it properly and start learning how to use Blender to make my own models as everything I could find didn't quite fit the aesthetics I wanted. A few years back when I was on a resin casting kick, I tried sculpting/casting an extra wall to go with the GW Garden of Morr set as I loved the style... but hated all the skulls on it all. That didn't go so well as the plaster started to disinegrate in the wet rubber.

Roll forward a few years and I've not only managed to create some straight walls that fit nicely, but I've managed to create a full set of walls for the table and I'm over the moon with how well they have come out.  The set also includes a small gateway, like the Secret Garden and a collapsed section... but also includes a lychgate. It is for a cemetary after all.

Given that these are my first ever 3d models, I was a little wary of doing anything with them, but I was finally convinced the other day to let others have them as well. It's not like I've got enough of a following to try and sell them yet... so they are now available for free on https://www.myminifactory.com/users/MrMagpieCreates.

Future models will also be added there too. Enjoy! and if you print them, please let me know, I'd love to see them in use!

5 comments:

  1. They look brilliant! So you have designed these yourself or tinkered with an existing file?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All mine from scratch :)
      The first one took about 2 hours from learning how to deform a shape in Blender to having it on the printer, running a test. I'm sure people who do this for an actual job will hate the way I did it as I really doubt it is optimised in any way, but I created a couple of textured brick shapes... and then built a wall out of them. The only other additions are a small base plate to make sure that it has a flatsurface to print from and a thin vertical cube inside so the bricks intersect with something for support.

      Delete
    2. Amazing! Even more impressed now.

      Delete
  2. Looks brilliant dude. Nice expansion to the table.

    ReplyDelete