With another week until the painting competition starts I've been trying not to start work on any new figures... so some more furniture has been finished for Dungeon Saga. The next three photos do include the last set of stonework furniture as well, so that they show the complete group of each type for the DS project page. The originals are slightly darker. I must have used a different grey as the base... but variation is good.
And now we move onto the wooden items. There are still plenty of barrels and chests left to do.
Last time around I was asked for the brown recipe. I can't remember how I did the tables and bookshelves, but for these I used the following steps:
1) Undercoat in black
2) Heavy drybrush of Citadel Rhinox Hide
3) Drybrush the top half with Citadel Skavenblight Dinge
4) Drybrush the top quarter with Vallejo Neutral Grey
5) Paint on the metalwork using Citadel Boltgun Metal
6) Wash all over with Citadel Agrax Earthshade
7) Targetted second wash to the lower quarter with another layer of Agrax Earthshade
8) Rust spots added with ModelMates Rust effect.
The new Wargames Illustrated painting special contains some really good step by step guides to different types of wood as well as a plethora of other interesting articles on painting covering things like faces, horses, fabrics, basing techniques and shields. It is well written with some nice, clear photos to show the steps. Highly recommended.